Is my beer still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seandgoode

Reaction score
Hi all, first time poster and brewer here. I'm currently brewing my first ever brew, the youngs american ipa kit.

The beer has been in the fv for 3 weeks now, I dry hopped 4 days ago with a sg of 1010. It's now been sat at 1008 for 48hrs and was hoping to bottle tomorrow, but I was by the fv earlyer and the airlock was bubbling every couple of minutes. Could it still be fermenting? I don't want to bottle and have 50+ bombs in the cupboard.

Thanks in advance

Three weeks and 1.008 and your done. Co2 gets trapped in the yeast cake and escapes from time to time.

Pop the lid/bung open to relieve any pressure and I guarantee you wont see anymore airlock activity

Three weeks and 1.008 and your done. Co2 gets trapped in the yeast cake and escapes from time to time.

Pop the lid/bung open to relieve any pressure and I guarantee you wont see anymore airlock activity
Ok thanks. I've just opened the lid a crack and closed again, will see if there's anymore action later.

To be honest you were most likely done after day 5. Most will say IPA's are best at 3 weeks or less so your already past that after bottling, I'm sure it will be fine but I'd be checking gravity at day 7-10 next time and see where your at.

Last edited:
To be honest you were most likely done after day 5. Most will say IPA's are best at 3 weeks or less so your already past that after bottling, I'm sure it will be fine but I'd be checking gravity at day 7-10 next time and see where your at.

IPA's start to lose their hop aroma after a short while in the bottle but this one has only just been dry hopped, which is when the clock starts for losing aroma. By leaving it longer in the fermenter the beer starts to mature which I think makes it a better IPA.

IPA's start to lose their hop aroma after a short while in the bottle but this one has only just been dry hopped, which is when the clock starts for losing aroma. By leaving it longer in the fermenter the beer starts to mature which I think makes it a better IPA.
Controversial to say the least....but thats a whole other ball of wax.

The action of the airlock is not the best way to determine whether or not it is done fermenting. Gravity readings are. BTW, @seandgoode welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Just checked again the bucket lid has domed up and more bubbles! Will take another gravity tomorrow

Still at 1008 this morning, thanks for the advise feel more confident about the bottling now.

Remember that airlock will bubble when gas headspace heats/cools due to expansion. CO2 during ferment is dissolved in your beer, a little, and will come out with temp change. Local barometric air pressure due to weather changes will cause airlock bubbles.

That's why everyone says to use SG readings, and they are right.

Back