Is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Shonuff

Reaction score
Just kidding.

I brewed awhile ago and just dumped water and oxyclean on the yeast cake to let it clean up my carboy.

It started smelling like death a few weeks ago. The wife is not happy that it is still sitting there.

I had to put the tin foil on the top because the smell was so bad. I'd say its been sitting on the counter for well over a month.

Evan!

Reaction score
whuh...what...why...? Dog or no dog, dump that nastiness!!! Another week and it'll be crawling out the top...a week after that it will have become self-aware.

OP
Shonuff

Shonuff

Reaction score
whuh...what...why...? Dog or no dog, dump that nastiness!!! Another week and it'll be crawling out the top...a week after that it will have become self-aware.
Yes I am blaiming it on the dog.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
hehe I've been tempted to take a bucket of water... add some leftover coffee for color... then dump in a few cartons of cottage cheese mixed with some food coloring or something and post a picture here asking people to "identify my infection". heheh

OP
Shonuff

Shonuff

Reaction score
maybe I should try and salvage the yeast.....

KayaBrew

Reaction score
Bottle it up in 1/2 ounce vials and sell it on Phish tour. The kids will trip balls.:eek:

OP
Shonuff

Shonuff

Reaction score
woohoo. All cleaned up.

I actually threw up in my mouth a couple times. The liquid on top wasn't that bad but when the yeast cake starting coming out - hot damn. I would not wish that smell on my worst enemy.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
We're going to need to see a picture of that counter top. Looks like you just parked a new carboy next to your dog!:p

OP
Shonuff

Shonuff

Reaction score
We're going to need to see a picture of that counter top. Looks like you just parked a new carboy next to your dog!:p
Dammit! I thought that pic was going to fly. Allright, I guess I'll really go clean it this time.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
Nice looking dog. Be careful giving him beer- moe loves it but REALLY farts up a storm as opposed to the usual bulldog farting up a storm. You just got the wife settled down about the carboy...
Whats the dogs name? How old is it? It looks about 2 months, right?
Beautiful pup.

meet moe

OP
Shonuff

Shonuff

Reaction score
Nice looking dog. Be careful giving him beer- moe loves it but REALLY farts up a storm as opposed to the usual bulldog farting up a storm. You just got the wife settled down about the carboy...
Whats the dogs name? How old is it? It looks about 2 months, right?
Beautiful pup.

meet moe
Moe freakin rules! Does Moe do this while he sleeps? I still don't understand the tounge thing.

NJTomatoguy

Reaction score
yup, he does that.. and when he has a good dream, the tongue moves, and he makes funny noises,and his foot twitches