Is my beer Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspence1

Reaction score
While trying to mash outside today I got a stuck sparge. I tried to get it running again but I had no luck. when I opened my cooler I found that my sparge water had frozen.

While trying to mash outside today I got a stuck sparge. I tried to get it running again but I had no luck. when I opened my cooler I found that my sparge water had frozen.

Little early to try and purify the beer isn't it?

when in doubt, wait it out, I always say with beer. I'm sure if you wait long enough the sparge will make it through.

Also works with iced tea. ;0

It is way too cold to brew outside without some sort of wind break and a lot of insulation on your vessels. You need a good plan (that works) for cold weather brewing.

Sorry, but....
bullsht.gif

I cannot believe an average-sized grain bill with water at 150+ deg in and insulated cooler is going to lose 120 deg in an hour while mashing.
Something wrong here....... mashing in a plastic grocery bag outside or something!

I guess I have to come clean now I didn't really do this I was talking in chat about brewing outside and doc recommended mashing in the garage or inside the house to maintain my temperature. So I thought I'd post that I froze my mash.

Just being a little silly sorry :drunk:

I was pleasantly surprised with the responses. I thought people would be all over me with their BS meters, and then hunt me down with pitch forks and torches.

Hey guys...

Notice how he said 80 and 15?

Now 80 would be ok if in C as a strike temp... but I don't think water freezes at 15 C.

Water freezing at 59 F or Someone dumb enough to try and strike at 80 F

Really suprised no one's bs meter went off.

This post proves why thread is in drunken rambloijngs...

Thanks for the move. I had originally planned on blaming bk for telling me to strike at 80 but I thought that might have crossed the line ;)

Back