Is my beer ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanMartin

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here but I have used this forum a lot to get me started on my homebrewing.

My first batch was a massive success! However my second batch has me worried. It is the Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat beer which I started yesterday. I checked it this morning and noticed the airlock was full of "brown gunk". I then noticed the temperature of my fermenter was at 30°C (86°F).
So my beer has been fermenting at a high temperature overnight. Would this have potential to ruin it? I'm hoping not because it was only at this temperature for no longer than 12 hours. But the gunk in the airlock has me really concerned.

Cheers everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_1766[1].JPG
    IMG_1766[1].JPG
    77 KB · Views: 92
The gunk is just yeast. Wheat beer needs loads of headspace in the Fermenter. When it settles down change the airlock. 30c is quite high but you might be ok. Try and keep the temp stable and have a taste in a few days.

Use a swamp cooler (tub of cool water) to slowly reduce the temperature. The tub of water of water will stabilize the temperature of the fermentation. Remove the air lock for cleaning. Cover the air lock gasket or mouth of the carboy with sanitized aluminum foil. You can also install a blow off tube assembly if the fermentation is too wild for the foil to stay in place. The beer can be saved with the fermentation being too warm for just a short time.

yea, put it in a big bucket of water and keep an eye on the temperature.
in 2-3 weeks when you take a temperature sample, you can taste for "bubblegum" flavour, but you might be fine with hefe.

Latest posts

Back