Is my beer ruined ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCREW

Reaction score
Hey im brewing for the first time and ive noticed a greyish creamy substance sitting at the bottom of my fermenter ? Is this normal ? Im doing a muntons golden ale and its been in the bucket 15 days and fermentation seems to have stopped although my hydrometer readings are off ?

What do you mean your hydrometer readings are off? What was your OG and what is the reading right now?

That creamy substance is a combination of a yeast cake and trub (that is what solids that settle to the bottom of the bucket or brew pot are called)
what do you mean by hydrometer readings are off?

With the slightly darker trub layer under that. The fact that the bubbling stopped doesn't mean it's done. Only initial fermentation is done. It'll slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. That's likely why your readings are "off".

SCREW, don't believe them... package up your beer and send it to a beer disposal facility (you can send it to me and I can take care of it for you)... Wait, what kind is it. I prefer to dispose of stouts. Never mind. You should be fine. Let the hydro reading stablize (ie same number 2 or 3 days appart, and about the same temp). Then bottle and give 2 weeks and drink. the stuff on the bottom (as noted) is yeast.

Glad to hear that !! sorry i phrased that wrong i meant to say my fermentation has come to a stop . Although my hydrometer is not in the "bottle" zone ? Is this a common occurance ? It is now day 15 in the fermenting bucket

Numbers and type of beer would be better, I think it is silly to put markings like that on hydrometers (mine just has numbers) because of the wide margin of finish gravities vs beer type plus added ingredients.
Edit: I see you did a Golden ale, it should be near 1.010 or so. did you give your hydrometer a spin before checking? CO2 will cling to it and cause it to read higher than what it should.

To many styles of beer to all fit on one normal size hydrometer. The numbers are just fine with me. Easy after you get used to how to read it properly.

Glad to hear that !! sorry i phrased that wrong i meant to say my fermentation has come to a stop . Although my hydrometer is not in the "bottle" zone ? Is this a common occurance ? It is now day 15 in the fermenting bucket

You gotta give us a number. And how do you know fermentation has stopped? Have you taken multiple readings over a few days? That's the only way to tell if it's done, when the gravity starts dropping.

Also, post your recipe, your process, and your fermentation temperature. Do you have a way to control temps during fermentation?

My reading is 1.014 and has been stuck on this over a few days, im using and extract brewing kit and fermenting in a plastic bucket . Ive left it to ferment at 18 -20 degress celcius

I'd say if you're at 1.014, you're good to go! You can bottle if you want, but I'd let it sit for another week just to give it a little time to age.

My recipe is muntons golden ale , 2 tins with boiling water straight into my fermenter , at 22 degrees celcius and 23 litres i took a hydrometer reading , 1.040 was my SG , then pitched yeast , left to ferment in dark room with airlock , lots of activity after 12 hours until 4 days later when it slowed . After 16 days my SG is 1.014 . This is what ive done so far . My instructions tell me to not bottle my beer until the SG drops below 1.006 or they will explode ! But it seems it has stabilized at 1.014 approx . Should i have to wait much longer or have i done something wrong ? Sorry its my first time making beer and i dont want to ruin it . Thanks for the help so far !

If your gravity is stable, you shouldn't get bottle explosions. Check it again in a couple days. If it's still 1.014, bottle away. That did finish a little high, but that is not a problem whatsoever. It just has a bit more residual sugar. It could be that your yeast wasn't as healthy as it should have been when it was pitched and underperformed.

I should say, though... Use a priming calculator! Over priming CAN cause your bottles to go boom.

Sounds good to me! Is it bad to leave it in the primary for more than a certain time?

With two 1.7 kg cans of LME & 500g of sugar,it seems like OG should've been more like 1.050 or so. So thinking you may've not gotten those 2 cans & top off water mixed real well,1.014 could very well be FG. Wait 2-3 days & check it again,just to be sure. If it's the same bottle away.

Cheers for that , I never added sugar, just the two tins as per instruction.

Back