Is my beer over fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris12_50

Reaction score
Just picked up brewing again and already having issues. I’ve never had my beer take so long. Left it 1 week in the primary and moved it to a carboy for secondary fermentation. It’s been in the carboy for 4 weeks now. The yeast is still active and bubbling out the airlock about every 5 minutes. And the beer hasn’t cleared up yet. What do I do? Let it keep going?

I did an all grain, Christmas ale if that matters. Thanks I’m advance.

What fermentation temp, what was the OG, what yeast?

A couple initial comments:
  1. It is probably done, a bubble every 5 mins is probably due to C02 off gassing. Take a hydrometer reading and confirm 3 days later.
  2. Four weeks is a long time, but if you are fermenting at a very low temp for the ale yeast, it could just be taking a long time.
  3. Most homebrewers skip moving to a secondary now for most situations. Yeast have become so healthy that the benefits of moving outweigh the risk of infection and oxidation. Just something to think about for next time.

I’d say Holden is right, and it’s just off-gassing. If it’s fermenting in the normal range of 63 or higher, it’s done. Cold-crash it, or whatever your normal procedure is, and keg/bottle it.

Back