Is my beer line too short for a weiss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_SA

Reaction score
Hi guys

This is my first time kegging and I have a keg of weiss pressurized at 20 PSI in a keezer at 4.5C

I'd like to find out if my beerline is going to be long enough at 3 metres/10 feet. I'm using 3/16" bevlex thickwalled beer line.

Am I at risk of heavy foam at this length?

Possibly. For 3/16" vinyl lines, at least 1 foot per psi is a good starting point.
Thanks that's what I thought. The store who sold it to me said 2 meters is usually fine but didn't bother to ask me what style of beer I'll be carbonating and I didn't mention it as I wasn't totally clued up at that point . I bought 3 meters just in case and turns out that's not even enough. Real pity as they're the only supplier of the line in my country and they're 3 days delivery away

I don't quite understand the science 100% yet but why is it not possible to turn down the pressure to 11 PSI for example when I want to dispense? Will it dispense the beer with a lower carbonation than it should if I did that?

If you reduce dispensing pressure below the "chart pressure" that set the carbonation level, it may allow less foamy pours, but the beer will slowly lose carbonation to the expanding headspace. Also, there is the potential for the "excess" CO2 at the lower pressure setting to break out of solution, which can cause pour problems on its own...

Cheers!

If you reduce dispensing pressure below the "chart pressure" that set the carbonation level, it may allow less foamy pours, but the beer will slowly lose carbonation to the expanding headspace. Also, there is the potential for the "excess" CO2 at the lower pressure setting to break out of solution, which can cause pour problems on its own...

Cheers!

I see. What if I dialed the pressure down for the dispensing of one or two beers and then dialled it back up to 20 psi again straight away? As a temporary solution while I order in some longer tubing.

Latest posts

Back