Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
This is my first batch in about 9 months and I can't remember if this is normal or not. The krausen dropped out about 2 days ago (5 days in) but this stuff stayed on top.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398385754.700930.jpg

That break in the middle is where my sample thief broke the surface. I brought the fermenter upstairs and expected the rest to settle out, but some is still floating at the top. Here is a close up after being carried about.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398385822.315354.jpg

They look exactly like what I think it would look like if I dropped some crushed up corn flakes into the top and let them soak for awhile.

For what it's worth, the beer smells and tastes terrific. Nothing weird at all.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but I just don't recall the floaters sticking around after being moved. Like I said, it tastes amazing and smells good (pre-dry hopped). I'm reading to rack over to a secondary.

Welp. You'll know after you rack it. If you gain a pellicle, then you'll know. Was it a solid surface? If it was just bubbles then coo, but if it was a skin I would bottle and drink it fast.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

Welp. Was it a solid surface? If it was just bubbles then coo, but if it was a skin I would bottle and drink it fast.

Never a solid surface. The active fermentation layer on top looked perfectly normal. Once that settled out it was never one big skin, just all those flakes. As you can see from the two pictures, most of the flakes settled out after I moved the carboy upstairs.

Follow up: I racked over to my secondary and the floaters seem to have settled out (or not made the trip over). Felt what it's worth, this was a pretty big beer 1.084) and there was about 2 1/2 inches of yeast and trub at the bottom of the primary. Sampled again and it really tastes amazing. Thanks all.

Great to hear. Ya. You should be fine. Proceed as usual. Prost!

Back