Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvumountee21

Reaction score
Hey guys! New to this forum but have read a lot of good info. I'm bottling an IPA that I brewed 3 weeks ago, today and noticed some weird looking "stuff" floating on top. It's sort of a greenish color that I hope is just some hop residue. Take a look at the pics and let me know your opinion.

Should I skim that crap off or do anything special? Or just bottle as normal?

Thanks in advance!

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

Looks like an old metal ash tray to me. Like he scooped some out in there to look at it. I'd be concerned about the white flaky stuff. Looks like you broke up a pellicle...

This is the Primary, and it looks white from the flash of my camera, but it's actually more of a green color.

By the way...it smells great, really hoppy...I also tasted it and it tastes fine too. No sourness

Was just thinking your primary might be an old brownish crock. Mom used those for various things. The hops might've tinted it green,but it might be a pellicle that got broken up. Did you stir it or take gravity readings directly in it? Was just musing about why it's broken up like that?

No off smell, actually smells great and tastes fine too!

My fermenter is actually a Mr Beer little brown keg fermenter...that's where I got my start!

I looked up pictures of pellicle and it definitely didn't look like the pictures.

What would you guys suggest? Go ahead and bottle, dump it, something else?

Thanks!

Loose hops will float for a good amount of time before they get soaked enough to sink. Thus tinting krausen or anything else that floats. But the taste is a good question to ask. How does it taste & smell?
You must've hit send right before me. Since it tasts & smells fine,go ahead & bottle it up. Now would be good.

Loose hops will float for a good amount of time before they get soaked enough to sink. Thus tinting krausen or anything else that floats. But the taste is a good question to ask. How does it taste & smell?
You must've hit send right before me. Since it tasts & smells fine,go ahead & bottle it up. Now would be good.

I'm by far no expert on infections and have never personally seen one myself but it looks to me like you might have some type of growth going on there.

Check out this thread and compare yours to some of the verified infections.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

I would skim it first. I skimmed mold from a friend's batch that looked something like that and the beer was fine. It was clearly infected, even in the bottle, he ended up with whitish rings at the top, but it tasted fine and I'm still above ground.

Back