Is my beer infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csdunham

Reaction score
So I've now successfully brewed 4 batches, all of which were in a glass carboy and all of which I looked at everyday to follow the process. Recently I fermented my first batch in a bucket and did not get to watch the process. Tonight I opened the bucket after two weeks to add some hops for dry-hopping and the beer smelled like a fart underlaid with the belgian yeast. I also saw that there was a creamy, bubbly substance on the surface that looked like the krausen but in my previous, albeit limited experience I've never seen anything siginifcant remain on the surface of my beer after two weeks. So I'm wondering if this beer is infected?

Sorry no pic. If it's still there when I go to bottle I'll take one. If it is the krausen should I wait until it is gone to bottle? I'm using WLP575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend.

Most likely it's the krausen and the yeast does smell pretty nasty. To determine if it's time to bottle you need to TAKE A GRAVITY READING ONCE PER DAY FOR 2-3 DAYS. If there is no change then fermentation is done and you can bottle.

Most of us on this site will still leave the beer on the yeast for another week or two to let the yeast clean up after itself, generally 3-4 weeks in the primary but if you're anxious then bottle.

Sorry, didn't mean to yell but gravity readings are the only way to determine if fermentation is done. Cheers!

It's not infected dude..the yeast is just sometimes a little stinky. I noticed that the wyeast hefeweizen smack packs always smell like ass.

Latest posts

Back