Is my beer infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkingfstrd

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of IPA using some hops I am not familiar with...mainly chinook. The beer came out extremely sour and kind of tastes a bit off. I am not sure if it is infected or if it is just the hops.

Also, if I drink this poor tasting beer and it is infected will I get sick from it?

I doubt it's the hops. Sour taste is almost always an infection. No it won't make you sick.

How long has it been since you brewed? Young beer has strange flavors sometimes that mellow out or disappear over time.

Currently it is conditioning in bottle and as I am really impatient...I only have waited 2 weeks. This is my 6th batch so I still consider myself a beginer but it is the first time that I have had such off flavors. I have noticed before that my beer usually doesn't taste very good after two weeks but this flavor seems uniquely off.

I unfortunately was expecting an infection as my lid blew off my primary fermenter but I was not sure what to expect from an infection.

As long as it won't get me sick I will just chug it down and get drunk off of terrible beer. I could be worse I guess...I could be drinking natural lite.

Actually the final gravity was spot on. 1.012 I think. In any case, I calculated the alcohol content at 6.5 when moving it from the primary to the secondary. I didn't take a measurement when I went to bottle it but with how strong the fermentation was, I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher.

I know I should have read the stickies and made a noobie mistake. Thank you for smacking me and telling me to read them. I actually wish I would have read them before starting this thread. I also wish my beer had a bubble gum flavor instead of "satan's anus" as someone else put it.

Thank you again for your help.

Back