Is my beer infected? See pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whlkng

Reaction score
I brewed an ordinary bitter 11 days ago. It spent 8 days in the primary and then racked over to the seconday. I did use 1/2 tsp of geletin when moving over to the secondary which I have never done. I heated the 1/2 tsp up in the microwave with 1 cup of water and then allowed it to cool prior to putting it in the wort. Everything looked good when moved over to the secondary but 3 days later I noticed these jelly like strands towards the top of the fermentation. I also noticed small white circles (forums mentioned these could be yeast) floating on the top.

Please see the images and let me know your thoughts. I use PBW and StarSan on all of my equipment prior to using.

no...I dont think this is an infection...But even if I am wrong continue the process as normal and see what the finished product tastes like...infection has a pretty distinct taste.
look at other peoples pictures of infection...looks like a film accross the top of the beer..(i know this has happend to me twice)

what it seems to me as when you racked to secondary it disrupted the beer and what you see is the Co2 ...and could be the yeast still in suspension in the beer...nothing to worry about

Thanks for all the response. In regards to the temperature, it is held at 62f. I can crash cool it if everyone thinks that would help, I have a temperature controlled freezer that is fermenting my lager at 39f right now.

Haha...I didn't even read this before answering. I looked at the pictures. I'm also going to agree that it's gelatin.

Back