Is my batch ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larder

Reaction score
I started warming up my water and adding my extract but my piece of crap hot plate that I just paid 80$ for kept over heating and couldn't get my mixture boiling. I just took it off put the lid on it and set it aside. Is this batch trashed or can I still hear it up and boil it?

How long has it been sitting around? If you have a stove that will boil it, I would go ahead and do that. If you're doing extract, you can do the 'Partial Boil' method and not have to heat up 5+ gallons of water.

About 13 hours now. How's the partial boil method go? I could only get it to about 170 degrees.

I threw it into a empty deep freezer last night so it's actually still warm

As far as I know (I brew all grain) partial boil means that you add your extract to like 2-3 gallons of water, boil that, and then top up to 5 gallons with cold water. I'm sure there is a sticky around here somewhere for that.

As for what you have now, I would try to get it up to a boil. Is your hot plate the only option? Sounds like it might be a little undersized to get a big pot of wort up to a boil. I use a Bayou Classic SQ14. I've been using mine for 5 years and 150+ batches. It's $50 from Amazon.

If its an extract its ok you really don't have to fully boil it its just best to... Jest get it hot enough to dissolve all your sugars.

Back