Is my batch infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozgur

Reaction score
Hello everyone, It is my first time all-grain attempt and I think my beer is infected by lactobacillus. What is your opinion? and should I dump it or is there any possibility to get a good taste by any luck?

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpg
    IMG_1228.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 117
That looks like lacto alright... There's probably other stuff as well.

You can keg from underneath that layer and get the beer cold to stop growth and see how it tastes, I definitely would not bottle that though (that's bottle bombs waiting to happen)

Anything that comes into contact with that batch will need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. I would go so far as the throw that plastic bucket away...

That looks like lacto alright... There's probably other stuff as well.

You can keg from underneath that layer and get the beer cold to stop growth and see how it tastes, I definitely would not bottle that though (that's bottle bombs waiting to happen)

Anything that comes into contact with that batch will need to be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized. I would go so far as the throw that plastic bucket away...
Well, thanks for the reply. Unfortunate...

Looks like pellicle as well .

Welcome to HBT . What is your brewing process ?
Hello, thanks. I'm sorry English is not my first language, I don't understand what are you asking exactly. I did 2 times kit beer and this was my first attempt with all-grain BIAB... I was trying to brew a hefeweizen

Hello, thanks. I'm sorry English is not my first language, I don't understand what are you asking exactly. I did 2 times kit beer and this was my first attempt with all-grain BIAB... I was trying to brew a hefeweizen

No worries . Just curious of the steps you take during your brewing . Cleanliness is very important with brewing . Things must be cleaned before sanitization. Patience is very important as well . New brewers like to look at their beer while its fermenting . This is a bad habit. Opening the fermenter is allowing the the beer to be subjected to bacteria and oxygen.

No worries . Just curious of the steps you take during your brewing . Cleanliness is very important with brewing . Things must be cleaned before sanitization. Patience is very important as well . New brewers like to look at their beer while its fermenting . This is a bad habit. Opening the fermenter is allowing the the beer to be subjected to bacteria and oxygen.
Oh yes, I was a little bit curious and did open and look inside the fermenter. Another problem for me was chilling the wort, ice bath was not sufficient enough, it took more than 5 hours... Other than these problems, I was careful about sanitation. In the end, I need to learn to be patient in the future...

Oh yes, I was a little bit curious and did open and look inside the fermenter. Another problem for me was chilling the wort, ice bath was not sufficient enough, it took more than 5 hours... Other than these problems, I was careful about sanitation. In the end, I need to learn to be patient in the future...

Yeah 5 hours is quite a while . Some brewers do a no chill . I dont know much about it so I really can't say . Sounds like you need an immersion chiller . Its best to get that temp down as quick as possible and into your fermenter. I dont know if you have access to buying one but you could make one as well. I made one with a copper coil I bought.

Yeah 5 hours is quite a while . Some brewers do a no chill . I dont know much about it so I really can't say . Sounds like you need an immersion chiller . Its best to get that temp down as quick as possible and into your fermenter. I dont know if you have access to buying one but you could make one as well. I made one with a copper coil I bought.
Could you tell me what is the required length and width to make a good one?

Back