Is my batch infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just bottled a batch of the Holiday Cheer ale from Papazian's TJOHB last night, and when I took a look at the bottles this morning there appears to be what I can only describe as a faint "swirly haze" in the bottles. I don't ever recall seeing this before.

Now I didn't rack to secondary with this batch, I just kept it in the bucket for 3 weeks, so I'm wondering if the beer is not as clear as I'm used to, or worse, if it's infected.

I can't understand it if it is, I was very thorough with the Star San...everything soaked in it for at least an hour, but I guess anything is possible.

Thoughts?

Nick

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to see it in pictures. I have to hold it up to light to see it and even then it's barely perceptable.

+1 to yeast. Chill for a few days in the fridge and that should drop out. Even if it doesn't, you'll barely notice it.

+1 to yeast. Chill for a few days in the fridge and that should drop out. Even if it doesn't, you'll barely notice it.

OK, but it has been bottle conditioning for only a day so far...aren't the bottles supposedto condition in temps slightly warmer than what the ale fermented at? I've got it at about 70-75F right now.

OK, but it has been bottle conditioning for only a day so far...aren't the bottles supposedto condition in temps slightly warmer than what the ale fermented at? I've got it at about 70-75F right now.

Give it a couple of weeks at 70°F, then stick them in the fridge for a week or so, and whatever you're looking at will probably pack itself on the bottom of the bottles...

Cheers!

Back