Is my batch dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Aaronh2500

Reaction score
I boiled an American Light batch made by Brewer's best yesterday. I normally make darker beers but wanted to try something different. I did everything exactly as I do all other batches expect instead of dumping the hop pellets directly in the brewpot, I placed them in some cheesecloth and dropped it in.

I waited until the wort cooled to 72F. My SG was right at 1.040 which is just right, and i suspended the yeast and dropped it giving it a quick stir. It has been 24 hours and it is showing no signs of working yet. The temperature is sitting at about 64F, is that too low? Should I just be more patient?

fretsforlife

Reaction score
Should I just be more patient?
Im very new to this, but Im gonna go ahead and say "yes". I just had an IPA that took over 3 days to show any visible signs. when it finally did, they were very very slow bubbles. after a week I checked my gravity and it was super low proving that all these people are not kidding when thy say not to count on visible airlock activity.

Edit: I also wanna add that my temp was exactly the same as yours 64-66º

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
Many people use hop bags or paint strainer bags for their hops, and 64º is fine. Patience, padawan.

kirscp

Reaction score
I've had batches take 3 days before fermentation started, others within 24. Give it time.