Is my batch a waste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhandy

Reaction score
I recently posted a little about my 2nd batch ever. Here is the link: (Golden/Amber Bitter Ale.).

After 5 days carbonating I had to try 1. It was good. It was not too bitter and had nice color and clarity. There may have been a slight off flavor, but it was subtle and I didn’t think much of it. I was thinking 2 for 2. The next night I had a tall Imperial IPA and felt like another beer so I popped another of my Golden Ale homebrew in the freezer. It was good again, but I sis try to identify the off flavor. Nothing to worry too much about I thought. Then, I woke up with a weird headache. I’m no stranger to hangovers. With my normal Mexican Lagers they start at 8-9 beers and increase to death by 12. I only drank the 2 beers. Granted the 9% Imp IPA is like 3 12 ozers, but my beer is supposed to be around 4.2 %. The headache feeling had a flavor and in retrospect (it has been 72 hours), I’m thinking solvent-like and fusel alcohols. I still have a whole case carbonating and I am going to wait until the 2 weeks is done to try another. If it gives me a headache I will pour them out. I should note that I am a rookie and have no temperature control. I live on Maui, in the tropics of course, but am at around 1600 ft elevation. It has been cold and cool lately. The night during fermentation was probably 58-68F and the days 68-78F. With only rarely being 78 and only for a couple hours a couple days. It has been more rainy and overcast. It was the US-05 Safale. To finish off this story I am going to buy a small fridge and Johnston thermostat bc f that I need temp control. If anything else, I am learning to distinguish off flavors and more valuable knowledge. For instance, I didn’t realize the higher temp of the fermentation needs to be taken into account. Input welcome.

They have only been carbonating for 5 days, if you bottle condition it will definitely have some off tasting compounds that has not been broken down yet. Give it more time and you will probably be fine.
And don't do like me and open a bottle at room temp to see how carbonation is going, and get paranoid about infection when the bottle start foaming a little.🤦‍♂️

+1 with Erik’s advice. All of my bottle conditioned west coast ipa’s and APA’s improve greatly with age. The best advice I’ve gotten is to age them 2 weeks at room/cellar temp and 2 more weeks in the fridge. It helps drop out tannins and alllow the hop aromas to emerge. The body improves, too.

Good luck!

It was the US-05 Safale

Change yeast or change the temperature. At your temperature most ale yeasts will throw off esters that you probably won't like the taste of and fusel alcohol which can give headaches. There is a strain (maybe more than one strain) that does well at higher temperatures. Read this article, then go looking for the yeast. Your LHBS may not have it so order it shipped in, then encourage the LHBS to start carrying it.

https://www.growlermag.com/rise-of-the-super-yeast-kveik/

In case anyone comes back to this I wanted to give an update on my beer, my 2nd batch. I completed carbonation at 2 weeks and then refrigerated the whole batch. I ha e been drinking them since. It’s good. The off flavors are all but gone and no more headaches. Only the one time but it was a killer- sorry for the drama. Needless to say I do have a refrigerator for fermenting and am ordering a thermostat tonight. I don’t want to mess with ambient temps anymore if I don’t have to. Cheers!
50B570E9-928B-466E-888C-993A98D6B860.jpeg

In case anyone comes back to this I wanted to give an update on my beer, my 2nd batch. I completed carbonation at 2 weeks and then refrigerated the whole batch. I ha e been drinking them since. It’s good. The off flavors are all but gone and no more headaches. Only the one time but it was a killer- sorry for the drama. Needless to say I do have a refrigerator for fermenting and am ordering a thermostat tonight. I don’t want to mess with ambient temps anymore if I don’t have to. Cheers!View attachment 723181
That's a seriously low-gravity beer.

Latest posts

Back