is my aeration method good enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
i use a wort chiller to cool the wort, when doing this i dunk it up and down in the wort for 10 minutes or so because it gets the heat down quicker (i dunno the science of it, i just know it works). can this be a sufficient way to aerate as well? i mean i create lots of air bubbles doing this and i wondering if further aeration is needed.

never can have too much aeration....

unless you're using pure oxygen.

well i suppose that was my other unspoken question. is it possible to over-aerate if you're using manual methods? or is pure O2 required for that to happen?

You should not aerate until the wort is below about 85F. Aerating it while it's hot can cause problems from what I've read but I hope I'm wrong because your method makes sense.

I always just cool down with wort chiller, then transfer 1/2 the wort to fermenter, put a solid bung in the fermenter and shake the crap out of it to aerate, then add the rest of the wort a sanitized gallon jug, shaking before adding to the fermenter as well. When I'm done my wort has a bunch of aeration foam on the surface so I know it's well aerated.

after i do the whole dunking the wort chiller and get it down to 70, i shake the crap out of the fermenter after the wort is in. I have lots of aeration foam when im done so i think what I do is sufficient enough.

Your method should be fine as long it's at pitching temps. If you want to be really sure, get a small oxygen bottle from a hardware store, a diffusion stone, a lenght of hose and a small regulator. Put the store in the bottom of your fermenter and crank it up for 30 seconds to a minute.

have you had problems with stuck fermentations or under-attenuation or anything that would indicate that you're not aerating enough?

Sometimes, I brewed at wheat ale last year that was at 1.040 for OG and it stopped at 1.020 and didn't move. I attributed this to unhealthy yeast though Since it was wyeast and it was at 3 months past the manufacturing date

Latest posts

Back