Is my 1st batch ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomlaw87

Reaction score
Morning folks,

Ok my 1st batch of beer was bottled a while back. I cleaned and sterilised all 45 of my bottles etc

I opened one last night, it tasted good, it wasnt very fizzy or foamy though. I have put that down to just one carbonation drop instead of 1 and half (500ml bottles). I had 3 bottles last night to "test" it but I noticed in one of the bottles on the inside was a bit of a white patch which I think is a bit of unwashed steriliser solution.

What I want to know is it safe to drink this? There wasn't much of it. Just a tiny patch, but it was there :(.
I have since watch a video of how to properly clean bottles etc so I know what I am doing next time. Would you recommend chucking this lot?
As like i said, it tasted ok.

Cheers guys!

I don't think it is no. Only for the fact that when I was originally sterilising them it looked the same :) as this in my bottle. There was some at the bottom also. After I poured it. I assumed this was just the sediment etc. The brand I am using is TVM. or something like that.

Thanks

If it is sanitiser used to sanitise items to hold food or drink, it is safe in small quantities. You wouldn't use something poisonous to sanitise items used to hold food or drink.

What exactly did you use? Find it, read the lable.

All it says is "if digested drink milk" but I'd imagine that was if I drank more than a little patch lol. Might just chuck it and start fresh :(

I sanitize my bottles, then rinse them, then fill with beer and cap. I would take it by the bottle. Open the bottle if there is white stuff throw it out to be safe, if not, drink it.

Back