Is lead free solder safe ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
... to use for building the manifold for a mash/lauter tun? I'm planning to convert a 5 gal cooler into a mash/lauter tun. Is it also OK to use the water valves they sell at the hardware store? Since they are for drinking water piping they should be food grade, shouldn't they?

Lead free solder is safer than leaded, but unless you slop solder all over the insides of the pipes, it's safe too. If you buy ball valves, they'll be fine. Most hardware store valves use rubber washers to control the flow & the overall design makes cleaning them a nightmare.

I used lead free solder for mine, but that doesn't mean it's safe. I assumed since it was okay for water pipes it would be okay for mashing. I was pretty assiduous about cleaning up excess solder/flux that was visible.

Let's get one thing straight, safety is a matter of how much as well as what. Copper, iron, chrome, lead, silver, etc. can all kill you. In one of my old Navy classes, they tell about some WWII sailors that got Hemochromatosis (iron overload) by brewing beer in 55 gallon drums. Personally, I take an iron suppliment that would damage most people in a year. I have to.

Keep the solder joints clean and you won't have a problem.

david_42 said:
If you buy ball valves, they'll be fine. Most hardware store valves use rubber washers to control the flow & the overall design makes cleaning them a nightmare.

The good thing about the construction of the mash tun is, that I don't make sure I can keep it sanitary. But there is a good point in being able to clean it well.

Thanks,
Kai

Back