Is Kolsch yeast slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JavaBeans

Reaction score
I used this yeast in a Kolsch I am making right now:
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/XL_2565_KOLSCH_YEAST_P604C79.cfm

The 1 liter starter took 6 days to ferment out, where I usually do 2 day starters for ales.

My brew bucket has been sitting at 55F for 6 days and might have the slightest amount of foam visible. I was planning on letting this sit for a month in primary, but i'm starting to wonder if it will be long enough. Is this typical of Kolsch yeast?

kolsch yeast is very slow and steady. i usually start the femrmentation temp out at around 60° for the first day to get it all kicked off then back the temp down.

Fwiw, I let my Kolsch ferment out for around 14 days in the low 60s then warmed it up to about 68-69 for a couple days, threw it in the fridge for a couple more weeks to lager and it was spectacular.

Kolsch yeast is a little slow. It is an ale yeast but work much better at near lager temps. Give it time to do its job. You'll know when it's done based on gravity readings.

Thanks all. I can wait it out, I was just surprised by how long it was taking and wondering if that was normal.

Now off to the LHBS to get me another Ale Pail to use while this one is occupied...

Kolsh yeast is slow...but thorough.

It benefits from some cool condioning in the secondary (5o degrees) if you can.

Kolsch cleans up after itself very well and your beer will be very clear.

I looked this morning and there is a finally a good krausen going. I feel better now. I really should have know the yeasties would have perked up as soon as I posted about them...

This time of year the room where the condo heat exchangers are stays right at 45F as long as its colder than that outside. I wan planning on a month at 45F assuming the weather cooperates and stays cold.

Back