Is it too late to Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shark Bait

Reaction score
I am making a couple of 5 gallon batches of cider from raw cider. Here is my process:
Heat 5 gallons of raw cider to 160 for ten minutes to pasteurize then cool.
Transfer to fermentation bucket and pitch with champagne yeast.
On day 2 of fermentation, dry hop. (Oops)
After a week, transfer to a carboy for 6 weeks.
Add potasium sorbate to kill any leftover yeast.
Tansfer to keg and add 1 pound of local honey.
Shake well for a couple days
Carbonate and enjoy.

Except that I forgot to dry hop. I am two weeks away from kegging. Any ideas on dry hopping at this point? I like the clarity the cider usually has. Is oxidation a big deal with cider?
Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I usually bottle, but no reason why this wouldn't work with a keg. With two weeks up your sleeve this is probably abut the right time to dry hop.
In the secondary carboy, add hops at 3g/L (about 4 teaspoons per gallon) in a large teabag and "jiggle" then taste almost every day until the flavour profile is what you want... usually only 5 - 7 days. Use too much hops and you run the risk of overdoing it as the cider takes on the hops flavour quite quickly.

Be aware that dry hops float and disintegrate quite quickly so the "teabag" needs to be quite fine and weighted down. I tie the bag to a stainless steel rod so that it can easily be "jiggled".

Putting weights such as marbles in the bag can cause problems when you try to remove it as the hops and weights tend to jam in the carboy neck (a bit like a reversed cork) when you try to remove them.

Last edited:
Back