Is it too early to let my hops grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmfa200

Reaction score
My second year hops (Nugget and Cascade) started growing about 5 weeks ago, and they are really growing fast. A couple bines are well over 6 feet high already.

My question is, should I have cut them back and let them get started a little later in the season?

If you don't get a hard frost, you'll be ahead of the game. If you do get a hard frost, the current growth will most likely be burned back and new shoots will take their place. It's a roll of the dice. Good luck!

Hops are a pretty tough plant... but If they get an early jump on the growing season, you should really watch them during july and august. Last year by this date my hops were up over two feet. By the heat of August, I had lost all my Nuggets, EKG, and most of my Fuggles. I managed to get a lousy pound from my cascades, three plants that normally produce 2 to 3 lbs each. Right now they are just poking through the little bit of snow we have left, should be a good year... as long as those damn Japanese beetles stay away

Latest posts

Back