is it time to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

leroycheetah

Reaction score
I recently brewed a double i.p.a. and its been fermenting for about a week and a half and were still seeing bubbles in the airlock about once every minute or so...i currently do not have a hydrometer and cold weather may have slown down the fermentation..should i wait til the bubbles have completely stopped or would it be safe to bottle...any input is greatly appreciated.

homebrewdad

Reaction score
Bubbles mean nothing. Only way to know for sure is to take gravity readings. Invest the $8 in a hydrometer.

metanoia

Reaction score
You can't be sure that active fermentation is done without a hydrometer, so you have to play it safe. Also, airlock activity is not a sigh of fermentation, just how quickly CO2 is being pushed out of the fermenter.

Give it at least two more weeks to be safe, and try to find a place that's within the temperature range of the yeast you used. And invest in a hydrometer if you can; its $12 for one and a plastic test tube at the LHBS and it really gives you a more firm grasp on fermentation.

sweed

Reaction score
I am guessing you didnt have the hydrometer to check the OG. With my iipa's, 2 weeks was good, but I could have left it alone for 3 weeks. Get a hydrometer then check the gravity before bottling. You wont know if its done until you check the gravity.

OP
L

leroycheetah

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice my beer turned out fantastic! Finally have my hydrometer and plan to take on advanced brewing techniques for the next brew.