Is it strange for a LHBS to store their hops unrefrigerated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opus_X

Reaction score
I thought they should be refrigerated for freshness. They were vacuum sealed in 1 oz packages.

Hanging on hooks on the wall. I was just in and out of the store and it was my first visit. Maybe they had a fridge somewhere and I just didn't see it, but they definitely had hops hanging on the wall. By all accounts it is a reputable, recommended shop. Maybe I'm just missing something.

My LHBS in Las Vegas keeps their hops and yeast under refridgeration, including dry packets of yeast.

You think maybe this is just a display of the hops they carry just so people can see what's available? If they don't refrigerate them there's no way I'd buy from them.

Dang. My LHBS keeps their hops out, un-refrigerated. I have brewed with them quite a few times and never had problems, but also have not had a chance to work too much with properly refrigerated hops.

My lhbs keeps is in a freezer in the back and only puts out a few on display in a fridge and replaces them as he sells them. He told me they only last a couple days unrefrigerated.

The Brew Craft kits at my LBS are all room temp on the shelf as well. The Warrior hops in the 2 kits I bought are all vacuum packed in the box.

Were they marked 'old', 'aged' or 'outdated', or anything else that would give you the impression that they weren't fresh?

Back