Is it safe to put the STC-1000 probe into a mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hezagenius

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to get a better control on my mash temps. I'm using a kettle mash tun so I don't have the benefit of insulation like a cooler (although I will probably fashion something out of Reflectix).

Is the STC-1000 probe safe to put into a mash for 60 minutes? Can it stand up to the heat? The website claims it can, but who knows. Is it even food grade?

Would it be better to use a probe like this?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXZVNG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I used my vacuum sealer to make a sleeve for mine. I don't use it to monitor mash temps but I have it in a gallon jug of water in my ferment chamber so I don't have to attach it my buckets and try to insulate.

If you're looking to make a purchase, this is what I use for all my temp monitoring. Mashing, heating water, smoking pork shoulder and brisket, etc. If you subscribe to their newsletter you can see when these and other items go on sale (pretty often). Plus the alarm volume goes to 11 so it's easily heard when your JAMS are up too high in the brew cave. \m/

Edit: I've found an old sleeping bag or a combo of jackets and blankets makes great insulation, especially if you can leave your kettle/MT out in a sunny spot. I usually only lose 1-2 degrees over the course of an hour. 90 minute mashes drop a lot more towards the end, though.

I've had the STC probes in water for years, without any problem. Not sure about using it in the mash. I know they slowly dissolve in alcohol. :drunk:

Aside from using a thermowell, I wonder if someone has tried coating the STC probes with a thin layer of food grade silicone. A bit more impervious than the black plastic itself.

I like the sleeve idea with a vacuum sealer bag.

I've had digital food probes in the past but whenever the liquid goes past the probe, they short out or something and give weird results.

Back