Is it possible to save this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W21_T

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm on my 6th brew, so I'm still very much trying to learn the intricacies involved in brewing. I have a question about my 4th brew. I went ahead and did 2 more because I have a break from school and I figured it's a great time to practice and learn.

For the beer in question I decided to do a lambic infused with watermelon. Its been fermenting for about 1.5 months now. I added watermelon twice to the secondary, however on the first addition my lack of experience and perhaps common sense led me to not boil the watermelon before I added it in. All seemed well at first and then about 4 weeks after the first addition (2 weeks after the second) the fruit is floating on top and some of it has what would looks like a thin white cake on top of it.

I'm assuming the white substance is mold and not yeast. Is there any way to save this? I'd hate to throw it out so I thought about getting a filter to get rid of the top layer but as much longer as it needs in the carboy I'm really wondering if that's a safe option. Could I get an opinion call from some of you more experienced brewers?

It could be yeast, but then again it could be mold. I'd pull a sample and smell/taste it.
If there aren't any "off" flavors, it should be ok. Don't know if filtering will change much if there is a flavor problem..
If it tastes ok, I'd rack it off to another carboy, cold crash and bottle or keg if its done.
Adding fruit to beers can be tricky, the sugar in the fruit will make the yeast re-start if the alcohol level is low. When fermentation is active, your fruit flavors and aromas can be lost as the Co2 bubbles away.

I'll give that a try. Thanks, I really appreciate the advice

Sounds like the white thing on top is the pellicle, and totally normal in a sour beer. I'd leave it alone, as it sounds like it's doing it's thing.

Back