Is it possible to 'fix' an oxidized wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akronwineguy

Reaction score
Just curious of any opinions here. I made a 5 gallon batch of a chardonnay that has been oxidized.. it has that slight nail polish remover smell. I pretty sure it got compromised when I tried to cold store it in my garage in the winter and my airlock cracked. Thought it might be okay but i was wrong. Everything I've read or heard makes me believe that I should just dump it.

Anyone have experience salvaging an oxidized wine or turning it into a vinegar or anything else?

Any alternative uses for it before I dump it?

I'm no expert, but once oxidized, the damage is done. Sulfiting attempts to slow the process by trapping the oxygen with the sulfite agent.

Now, when I hear 'nail polish' I think fusal alcohols from a high fermentation temperature. Oxidized flavors are stale...dead...

Vinegar is an interesting idea though if its truly undrinkable. I've heard of some 'mother' culture you get for that, and its pretty scary to have around a brewery. I wonder if you bought some unfiltered/organic vinegar, if it might be 'active' enough to kick off your batch...

Back