Is it possible to cap Weihard bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pulp26

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been collecting bottles for my first brew for a little while now, most are Weinhards (got them because they are dark brown). A friend of mine mentioned that I might not be able to cap them. Is this true, has anyone bottled with Weinhard special reserve bottles successfully? If not is there a cheap beer I can buy and drink for use of the bottles?

I would buy bottles but they seem to expensive after shipping and everything.

Thanks!

I don't thick the Weinhard bottles have the thick flaired neck require for the capper to grab hold. It may be possible using a bench capper though.

Sam Adams is a cheap readily available beer. Plus you can buy their 12 pack "boxes" which are great for storage.

You can also try Craigslist for bottles. I've seen people selling bottles there numerous times for just a coupe bucks a case. If you do that I would recommend a little more than a basic sanitizer, maybe bleach or Oxi-Clean.

Sam bottles are nice b/c the labels come off very easily.

My bottles are probably my biggest brewing investment. I like the 22 oz because they bottle in half the time, so I just buy them. It is worth it to me. I share a lot of beer at work, but only 12oz. I rarely get the bottles back.

mrk305 said:
My bottles are probably my biggest brewing investment. I like the 22 oz because they bottle in half the time, so I just buy them. It is worth it to me. I share a lot of beer at work, but only 12oz. I rarely get the bottles back.

thats my problem too
i brew more than i want to drink so i take a lot in to work
out of 200 taken in i have only got about 30 bottles backl:mad:

Thanks guys! I guess I have an excuse to down a bunch of Sam Adams for the next couple of weeks :).

Back