Is it okay to let the beer in the fermenter even if the FG is not changing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am wondering what truly happens if I leave my IPA in the fermenter....even after the GF has set at a stable, bottling level. Will the yeast actually do something to the batch that is either good or bad?

I am asking because I cant bottle for 3 weeks (counting from the brewing day) due to being to busy. And I guess this batch will be surely ready in 2 weeks time.

Thanks.

It's actually beneficial to leave it on the yeast cake for a week or two. The yeast will reabsorb some of the flavor components that are not favorable in the beer.

From John Palmer's How to Brew:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.
http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-2-3.html

3 weeks is nothing. Your beer will probably be better if you wait that long. I've left beer in the primary for 5 weeks with no ill effects, and I know people have gone longer than that.

How would you know if the SG is changing (the FG doesn't change;)) if you haven't even let the wort into the fermenter yet?

3 weeks is standard for most beers. I'd start thinking about getting it out of there in less than 8 weeks. IMHO And it depends on what kind of beer, things like stouts can go longer.

I am asking because I cant bottle for 3 weeks (counting from the brewing day) due to being to busy. And I guess this batch will be surely ready in 2 weeks time.

3 weeks is fine. Add your dry hops a week or so before bottling.

Latest posts

Back