Is it ok to...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine that there isn't much oxygen in the bottle to oxidize the brew. However, I have to be careful just moving mine around because the airlock will suck up all the liquid if not careful. I would take out the airlock and stick a big balloon or something on top.

I always wondered how guys who meet up somewhere and do a group brewday get it back home. Maybe they don't toss the yeast in until after they get home? Jostling in the secondary just doesn't seem like a good idea to me though...

desertBrew said:
I always wondered how guys who meet up somewhere and do a group brewday get it back home. Maybe they don't toss the yeast in until after they get home? Jostling in the secondary just doesn't seem like a good idea to me though...

If you get home within a few hours of pitching, it's no big deal. You don't want to aerate after fermentation begins, but generally it takes at least a couple hours before anything starts in earnest.

Cheesefood said:
If it's in a secondary, you're better off leaving it (if you can) until you can keg or bottle it there.

why is that? i was always under the impression that after it ferments a bit, there is no more o2 in there.. so there could be no oxegenation..

Back