Is it ok to use compressed air to push cleaner thru Corny keg and tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadboy

Reaction score
I have a pretty small CO2 tank and I'd rather not use it up to push cleaner thru the system if I don't have to. To that end I've rigged up a fitting to go from my air compressor to the gas line on the keg so I can push normal air in to run the cleaner. Provided the pressure isn't too high is there anything wrong with that? I'm very new kegging and brewing so I don't want to make any mistakes that I'll wind up shelling out more $$ for.

Thanks in advance.

I don't see any problem with it - but a few things:

1) Compressed air can have a lot of nasty junk in it - you need to at a very minimum put a filter to catch liquids out of the compressor. Lowes has a 15 dollar Kobalt one that works fine for this. If you plan to use the compressed air say for aerating, then you need to put a very good air filter on it as well - never use compressed air for consumption without doing both.

2) Most people use CO2 because they leave the kegs under a blanket of CO2. Bacteria doesn't grow in that environment and hence it protects the kegs after cleaning. Something to think about.

I actually have that very filter. I occasionally do some airbrush work for modeling and you need that to prevent moisture in the line.

Now I wouldn't use the compressed air to drink the beer. I'm going to have to open the keg to make sure all the cleaner is out of the bottom, correct? Won't the blanket of co2 vs. compressed air not really make a difference since I am going to have to open it for that?

Back