Is it ok to pour priming sugar into the 2nd fermenter and bottle from there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jollyjerry

Reaction score
It's my first batch, and I'll be bottling in a few days. I've read through the tips for bottling in the forums and they've been super helpful. I'm just not sure how to add the priming sugar since I have 2 glass carboys and no bottling bucket.

Should I siphon or pour the cooled priming solution directly into the 2nd fermenter and bottle from there? Or, should I pour the priming solution in my empty glass carboy, siphon the beer from the 2nd fermenter into the first one, and then bottle from the 1st carboy?

It seems like the latter option would mix the priming sugar better, but the former would mean moving my beer around a lot less.

Thoughts or tips?

just pour it into the existing one and stir it up (without agitating the surface too much) with the long handle of your sanitized plastic brew spoon or something like that.

just pour it into the existing one and stir it up (without agitating the surface too much) with the long handle of your sanitized plastic brew spoon or something like that.

I bottled numerous batches in college using this method (actually, it was my primary, but you get the idea) and it always worked fine.

I would just pour and stir. Its less work and less chance of contaimanation. After you stir the secondary you might want to wait a min depending how much sluge you still have in the wort. I like to wait a minute intel it settles back down. :mug:

i would buy a bottling bucket for 10 bucks :)

if you dont rack to the other container, you are just mixing everything up which will end up in your bottles.

Grab a bottling bucket it will be much easier anyway.

Back