Is it ok to cool in a freezer before pitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
I have no dang idea what possessed me to do a double brew day on a 98 degree Alabama day with what feels like 100% humidity. But non the less, I've wasted about an hours worth of water trying to get my wort to pitching temps. I have a chest freezer ready and waiting for these two carboys. Would it be ok to chill these down using the freezer and maybe pitch the yeast in the morning or at least a few hours after they chill down. It looks like I'm not going to get cooler than 80 with my tap water. No available ice and all that good stuff that I'm able to get at this hour. Just tap water.

Thanks head of time for a quick reply.

Ken

Do you have a thermostat for your freezer? If so move your beer in there, and let it properly chill before pitching.

Yes, I can dial it in to what ever temps I need to. Just worried about the extended time it will take to pitch. It's actually sitting at 45 now from having beer in it that I just moved out to free the freezer up.

My last brew was back in late Spring and this will be my last till Fall. lol

That won't be a problem as long as you made sure you sanitized everything good.(Carboys,hoses,etc.) Ive let my wort sit out overnight in the winter to chill and pitched it in the morning with no bad side effects. Maybe not ideal but when my water line freezes I kind of ran out of options. So I think as long as things are sanitized you should be fine.

Should be fine, just be careful (if you dont have temp control), you don't want you wort to freeze;)

Back