Is it ok to ask a brewery for yeast?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dumsboa09

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
153
Reaction score
7
There's a brewery right around the corner from me and I'm curious if its not cool to ask them for a bit of their yeast.
 
Joined
Apr 26, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
21
Location
Denver
I've only ever heard of breweries being happy to share their yeast, provided you bring your own bottle. Sanitized swing-top seems to be the preferred receptacle.
 
OP
D

dumsboa09

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
153
Reaction score
7
UnDeadPresident said:
I've only ever heard of breweries being happy to share their yeast, provided you bring your own bottle. Sanitized swing-top seems to be the preferred receptacle.
Awesome to hear. Lets hope they're into it.
 

biochemedic

Well-Known Member
Lifetime Supporter
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
2,527
Reaction score
415
Location
Carnegie, PA
I've heard of homebrewers getting jars of slurry when they do a dump...as long as we're not talking about Dogfish Head, and you're not asking for a sample of their proprietary Doggie strain or their Ta'Henket yeast... Seriously though, it probably doesn't hurt to ask...I'd bet most breweries dump at least as much as they save to reuse on their own...worst that can happen is you get a No answer, at best you get some fresh happy yeast...
 

Schemy

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
877
Reaction score
134
Location
Omaha
The breweries here are always happy to help out the homebrewers with yeast. I usually give them 7-10 days notice when I ask. Just don't know what their cropping schedule may be. I also always try to bring them back some samples of the beer I brewed with said yeast.
 
OP
D

dumsboa09

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
153
Reaction score
7
Schemy said:
The breweries here are always happy to help out the homebrewers with yeast. I usually give them 7-10 days notice when I ask. Just don't know what their cropping schedule may be. I also always try to bring them back some samples of the beer I brewed with said yeast.
I'm actually excited to hear what their response will be.
 

Nightshade

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
191
Location
Richland
I get free yeast from work all the time and give it to friends. I probably dump more slurry in a single batch than most homebrewers will use in 6 months or more.
 
OP
D

dumsboa09

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
153
Reaction score
7
Nightshade said:
I get free yeast from work all the time and give it to friends. I probably dump more slurry in a single batch than most homebrewers will use in 6 months or more.
So they said yea which is awesome. However they wont have any pitch able ale yeast ready until mid week next week. Suck because I am brewing Saturday. Still cool tho, ill have to inquire before my next brew.
 

Nightshade

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2012
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
191
Location
Richland
So they said yea which is awesome. However they wont have any pitch able ale yeast ready until mid week next week. Suck because I am brewing Saturday. Still cool tho, ill have to inquire before my next brew.
Just make sure you wash it good then it should be able to be stored for quite a while. Also find out what generation it is, most yeast is good until about 7th or 8th then it is getting pretty used up.
 

kevin476

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2011
Messages
182
Reaction score
4
Location
Anchorage
I have literally got gallons of yeast from one of the most popular breweries here in Alaska, they are usually stoked and always wanna talk beer. It would really surprise me if they turned you down. I'm sure its getting asked for free beer that gets old with them.
 
OP
D

dumsboa09

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2012
Messages
153
Reaction score
7
kevin476 said:
I have literally got gallons of yeast from one of the most popular breweries here in Alaska, they are usually stoked and always wanna talk beer. It would really surprise me if they turned you down. I'm sure its getting asked for free beer that gets old with them.
Yea I hear ya, the beer scene in my area is getting real good. I would rather them try my beers at that rate. Hell they're the pros.
 
Top