Is it normal to want to smell my airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmwhyte

Reaction score
It smells like a fairy has sprinkled pure wonder and amazement into my airlock. This is my first AG batch and NOTHING I have done can compare. Pumped to get this one into the bottles.

Yup. It's normal. It's a wonderful smell.

I once used vodka in the airlock instead of StarSan...hopped vodka, now there's a treat.

No, You're a freak and you make me sick.

yes I smell my airlock every morning, and it usually smells like farts... I love it.

This thread makes me want to go home and smell my airlock....and I don't even have anything fermenting right now....I might have a problem. A glorious, wonderful problem.

I have a bunch of batches on the go with different yeasts. Love to see how they give off different smells, even batches of the same thing (e.g., two Apfelweins with different yeasts).

SWMBO looks at me funny when she catches me sniffing the airlock. I love that smell.... Smells like BEER.

Guilty as well... I am sad when it stops bubbling and I can't smell the sweet, magical smell of beer fermenting.

I would say so. I have a American cream ale going right now and i smell the air lock every day smells like beer and sex :)

haha. all these posts made me laugh. I'm guilty as well. Ahhhh. The sweet, sweet smell of newly created beer!!

Yep, I do it, too. I LOVE the smell of the bubbling airlock... and some yeasts smell better than others.

the baltic porter I'm currently brewing with S-23 lager yeast (at 60F) smells like farts, and I still smell it every time I go home.

This just reminds me of a post that I read a while back, where the guy opened his fermentation chamber, and took a big whiff. Needless to say he almost passed out from all the C02. lol.

I will agree, it is one glorious smell!

One time during a very furious fermentation, my daughter, who is 16-months old, would walk up to the bucket, tilt the airlock to her, and sniff the air coming out. She was obsessed with doing this. Time to finish my fermentation chamber.

Back