Is it negative to have PRV on co2 regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALExanderH

Reaction score
I just ordered this one and then got second thoughts about the pressure release valves, my current single one doesn't have it and neither does the one at my lhbs.
Dual-CO2-Gauge-Regulator-with-1-4-barb-Checkvalves-Homebrew-CO2-Regulator-0-2000psi-0-60psi.jpg

I can't say that I have ever seen one before.
I am guessing that it's for the kegs that don't have a PVR on them.

I would be worried about getting beer in the CO2 line if you released that valve on a full keg.

I have never seen a regulator without a PRV, it is a very important safety mechanism.

What are the other regulators that supposedly do not have them?

I have one similar to yours. They're real dandies! One PRV blows around 35psi, the other around 50-55. Go figure. But the knobs are really, really handy I must say, beats the screwdriver type.

I regularly spray teflon lubricant on the threads of the pressure adjuster knobs when they start binding like a mofo. One is always a bit tight/rough turning above 20psi. Now I need to adjust these often as they are on my utility tank, so they get used for purging kegs, fermentors, bottles, force carbonating, even serving at times. I also take that one to outside events.

I think the Taprites (with the large plastic knobs) are much smoother operating. Likely higher quality regulators too.

I would be worried about getting beer in the CO2 line if you released that valve on a full keg.

The only way that can possibly happen is if the level of beer in the keg is so high that it is touching the gas in dip tube. Even then, CO2 regulators (usually) have a check ball in the output shutoff valve that would prevent any beer from entering the regulator. Some may get into the CO2 line, but not in the actual regulator.

The only way that can possibly happen is if the level of beer in the keg is so high that it is touching the gas in dip tube. Even then, CO2 regulators (usually) have a check ball in the output shutoff valve that would prevent any beer from entering the regulator. Some may get into the CO2 line, but not in the actual regulator.

I agree, That was what I was refering to. The CO2 line, however If you are force carbing at 30psi even if the beer is below the CO2 in tube you can get some beer back in the line without a check valve. I get beer out the PVR on the keg sometimes and I never fill above the CO2 dip tube. It's only a small mist of beer, but that ended up in my CO2 line that would be enough to get nasty over time.
This is why I have check valves on all my CO2 ball locks right at the keg.

Still not sure what the purpose is of having a PVR on the regulator.

The regulator PRV is a safety addition, it will release pressure if the pressure get too high, say if the regulator membrane broke or something similar. Not all kegs have prv on them, so that's why.

Back