Quantcast

Is it necessary to dry siphon/bottling tubes?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kXb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
i notice that after i clean my brew equipment, the bottling and siphon tubes take forever to dry. my cleaning method is to run hot soapy water through, rinse with clean, and hang to dry.

to me this seems like a mold growing opportunity. do i need to be concerned about this? if they should be dried, how do i accomplish this?

thanks
kXb

amandabab

Reaction score
hang them to dry.
I flush them with sanitizer when I'm done and before I brew.
And throw them out every few months.

I use almost all silicone tubing now. I can boil it :ban:

headfullahops

Reaction score
I've never done anything but hang them to dry after cleaning. FWIW, never had a contaminated batch.

Cheers! :mug:

amandabab

Reaction score
amandabab how often do you brew? i only manage a 5g batch every 45 days or so
this month I've been pushing hard because I might not have a chance next month, so 5 batches going . usually by december I'm bumping up against that 200 gallon limit if you combine beer/wine.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I soak mine in hot oxiclean solution, rinse them, dip it in star san solution, and then hang to dry. When I hang them I make sure that the tube is perfectly vertical without any bends which seems to help speed up the process. Also, the reason I dip them in star san is because it seems to evaporate faster that way. Plus the star san tends to evaporate "spot free". For that reason I always spray my beer glasses with it after washing them, and let them drip dry. It makes them crystal clear and aids in head retention.

Reactions: kXb

Ostomo517

Banned
Reaction score
I clean immediately after brewing with pbw then drip dry. Replace them every 3 months about 6 brews. To me its to cheap of a piece to let a bad one ruin a batch

Reactions: kXb