Is it necessary to do a yeast starter for washed reused yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo007

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've checked out the info on yeast washing in my case I use dry yeast (Fermentis SafeAle 04) and was wondering if its necessary to create a yeast starter kit to use this washed yeast in the next brew? Or can you just pour it in?

Thanks,
Rob

For me it depends on how long between brews, if its only a week or 2 I don't but anything longer ill make one.

I'm the same as Transamguy, but go even 3-4 weeks and not use a starter. I've seen that it takes longer before it gets going (36 hours or so), but works fine. I decant most of the liquid (I use Mason pint jars) and then mix yeast into a slurry and pitch.

I usually get 3-4 jars from a yeast cake from a 5 gal batch cuz that's all I can keep in the fridge so I'll decant the liquid from 2 jars just enough to make a slurry and I'll pitch both and make starter. But yes def make a starter to rouse the yeast after being dormant in the cold fridge temps. That way u know u have good viable yeast and if theres an infection u should be able to smell it from what I understand the starter either will smell funky or just won't take off.

I'm the same as Transamguy, but go even 3-4 weeks and not use a starter. I've seen that it takes longer before it gets going (36 hours or so), but works fine. I decant most of the liquid (I use Mason pint jars) and then mix yeast into a slurry and pitch.

I do the same with yeast up to two months old. Similar 36 hour lag time with older yeast, but worked out fine.

One more question. I'm using 500L fermentation vessels and I get about 350L to 400L yield per batch. Whats a good calculator to calculate the reused yeast I need for a batch of this size.
Thanks,

Back