Is it infected or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alxmonkey

Reaction score
I knocked up a dark ale recently and started by forgetting to take into account my lower boil volume so the brew isn't anywhere near as hoppy but still seems to taste nice. The weird thing is that after pouring it into a glass, it develops a flat clump of just off white sediment. The other thing is that it has a cherry like taste in the background and I'm surprised since the hops I used (Citra, chinook, and simcoe) are generally more citrus!

Anyone any ideas whether this brew has an odd infection or its just paranoia brought on by the 7.5% abv?

The

A flat clump of white sediment sounds like what is on the bottom of bottles after chilling. Are you just pouring the beer like you would a commercial brew? If so, don't. It's yeast, mostly.

I don't know about the taste but it sounds like yeast settling in your glass.

Unionrdr - it's more like cherry sweets than sherry I think, but then again I've not had cherry for a long time. Smells is what I kind of expected , but the almost acid wiff of oxidation isn't there so I don't think its oxidised.

I should have said in first post but, 'm pouring it out of a pressure barrel so I guess it's likely some sediment is getting out (the taps on the bottom of the barrel). It's not made me ill yet but Id not noticed sediment like that in my brews before. Thanks

Back