Is it going to plan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazzatrone

Reaction score
Just started brewing using the King Keg top tap.

The beer has been in the keg for 9 days now in a room with a temperature of about 20 - 22C. Not being sure as to brewing stops I opened the pouring tap to let out some beer (just to see what it was like) I presume fermentation is underway as there was some pretty strong force which jetted the beer out.

The result in a half pint glass was half foam and very cloudy liquid that smelt pretty yeasty.

Am completely new to this, and reading about racking off and secondary fermentation wasn't sure if I needed to do anything else as the instructions made no mention of these. Other than to leave it in the Keg.

I'm sure this has been asked many times but wondered if everything was OK.

Gaz

Sounds normal for a King Keg setup.

I'm not a fan of proprietary systems like that. You're boxed in to following their processes.

If you decide you like brewing, I highly suggest you upgrade to a more traditional 'bucket and carboy' brewery. I think you could still use the King Keg for finished beer dispensing (like a little party keg)...and avoid using it for primary fermentation.

Thanks for that.

As I mentioned, this is my first homebrew so wasn't really sure what to expect. As for the King Keg, it was a christmas present from my parents, so won't ditch it. But with regard to using it for future brewing. Is it possible to use it in secondary fermentation should I go down the route of abandoning the kit brew stuff.

I know i'm new to this, but throwing in a couple of cans, feels like cheating.

Gaz

P.S Love the avatar btw.

Back