Is it dangerous...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
..to carb up a bottle that I half full? I added 3/4 cup of corn sugar to my beer and I've got one bottle left over that is half full. I read somewhere that this can form a bottle bomb.

I've seen half filled bottles that blew up before, but I can't say whether this is the norm. To me it would seem more likely to have a beer that was more flat as more head space means more CO2 that doesn't get dissolved in to solution as it has extra space to escape in to. Is that what potentially creates bottle bombs? I don't know, just my guess.

Anyway my advice would be not to bother with a half full bottle, but if you decide to make sure to put it somewhere bottle bomb proof!

Jacktar said:
..to carb up a bottle that I half full? I added 3/4 cup of corn sugar to my beer and I've got one bottle left over that is half full. I read somewhere that this can form a bottle bomb.

Yup. Just put the half bottle in the fridge for an hour to cool and drink that sucker. Safer than a bottle bomb.

Glad I checked this, I've got a half bottle I filled this afternoon. I suppose I'll throw it in the fridge when I get home from work for an hour and drink it rather than risking a bottle bomb. Should be safe enough for 8 hours right?

Yes it has higher risk
More space to expand and less beer to disolve into

Wouldn't those two negate each other? More space to expand = less pressure while less liquid = less in solution before reaching saturation.

I don't know about the beer part but using gas laws it really shouldn't matter 50% full or 100% full. Does the yeast possibly make more CO2 based on O2 level? And being more O2 in the bottle makes it ramp up it's CO2 generation?

Duct tape a toad to it, place it outside and give it time. Go out and check it daily.

If the toad lives, you have done well in the brewing world, if you dont see the toad or bottle shrapnel, consider this a strong lesson in carbonation.

+1^ :mug:

in full disclosure, we dislike the local toads as they are poisonous and have a nasty habit of making our dogs sick....

Wouldn't those two negate each other? More space to expand = less pressure while less liquid = less in solution before reaching saturation.

I don't know about the beer part but using gas laws it really shouldn't matter 50% full or 100% full. Does the yeast possibly make more CO2 based on O2 level? And being more O2 in the bottle makes it ramp up it's CO2 generation?

^
|--- This guy has his head wrapped around Henry's law.
:mug:

Back