Is it bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaltG

Reaction score
OK, so made this around 11/5, bottled on 11/18, put in fridge last night. Primed with honey, don't remember how much, whatever the calculator said. Almost no head or carbonation and kinda has a sour taste. Is it bad? But back in cupboard for a week? Pop them open and add sugar?

Here is recipe

Style (BJCP):
06A. American Pale Ales - American Pale Ale
Volume in US Gallons:
1 gal
All Grain Ingredients:

2lb American NW Pale
3oz Oats, Flaked
1oz Crystal 80L

Hops
.25 oz cascade @60 min
.25 oz cascade @30 min
.25 oz cascade @1 min

muntons dry yeast

WaltG said:
OK, so made this around 11/5, bottled on 11/18, put in fridge last night. Primed with honey, don't remember how much, whatever the calculator said. Almost no head or carbonation and kinda has a sour taste. Is it bad? But back in cupboard for a week? Pop them open and add sugar? Here is recipe Style (BJCP): 06A. American Pale Ales - American Pale Ale Volume in US Gallons: 1 gal All Grain Ingredients: 2lb American NW Pale 3oz Oats, Flaked 1oz Crystal 80L Hops .25 oz cascade @60 min .25 oz cascade @30 min .25 oz cascade @1 min muntons dry yeast
is this a typo or did you really go from grain to bottle in 13 days, refrigerated and expect them to be ready?

Are you are it was even ready to package? Was it sour when you bottled?

didn't taste when bottled. Didn't have a hydrometer when I made this. Recipe told me 12-14 days.

is this a typo or did you really go from grain to bottle in 13 days, refrigerated and expect them to be ready?

Are you are it was even ready to package? Was it sour when you bottled?

+ in my experience honey will take a lot longer to finish fermenting then corn or cane sugar.

Two weeks at room temp, not in the fridge.

If you brewed and bottled within 13 days then somewhere the numbers are off. How long were they chilled? You need to chill no less than 24 hours but 48 is ideal. You are seriously rushing things.

Next time 14 days in primary at least, then if you have stable gravity readings then bottle. I don't understand why home brew shops push their silly directions down our throats as beginners but fail to hand you a $7.00 hydrometer. Mine handed me one and said I should have a backup. They may be mustache twirling hipsters but they at least told me that much.
Now, why did you bottle with honey? Just curious is all.

Not to highjack the thread, but I have had plenty of beers finish in that amount of time and turn out great.

I started a paddock wood red ale with wyeast liquid yeast and i have a ton of weird looking krausen. It smells fine and it's only been fermenting for 3 days but is this mould on top?

image-3143493097.jpg

I started a paddock wood red ale with wyeast liquid yeast and i have a ton of weird looking krausen. It smells fine and it's only been fermenting for 3 days but is this mould on top?

View attachment 163848

No.

And yes, many beers can go grain to glass in 2 weeks but that is if you keg I think. Fermentation, bottling, fully carbed in 2 weeks? I haven't had that luck.

View attachment 163848

Close the lid and DO NOT open it again for 2 weeks, you got any temp control, if not search swamp cooler, your fine but you are hijacking this thread.

CBMbrewer said:
Not to highjack the thread, but I have had plenty of beers finish in that amount of time and turn out great.
fermenting, yes, me too but not bottle conditioned and ready to drink.

I think everyone is misunderstanding his post (or I may be). He bottled after 14 days (on 11/18) but only just tried it yesterday (12/2). That means the bottles did condition (sounds like room temperature) for 2 weeks.

Ime,13 days primary is riding the ragged edge. They sometimes get done in 2 weeks,most often 3 weeks. & 2 weeks bottle time usually isn't enough for carbing & conditioning. 3-4 weels at 70F or a bit more is the norm. Those kit instructions are def off on timing things. That was def rushed...one thing th eyeasties won't tolerate. They have their own schedule that usually doesn't coincide with ours.

Back