Is it absolutely necessary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
to have a bottling bucket when bottling apfelwein? Can i just siphon from the primary? Will it have too much sediment?

If you are super careful you can but I would still use the bottling bucket. It will be almost impossible to not stir up something out of the primary.

You'll want a bottling bucket. If you plan on carbing, you'll need to mix in the sugar with the apfelwein in the bucket.

Greg

ALthough it's a good idea to use a bottling bucket...if you aren't planning to carb it, and you are good with a siphon (with or without a bottle wand) you could skip the bucket...If you're worried about sediment (which would fall to the bottom after awhile) you could take a piece of hopsack material, and sanitize it along with a couple of rubberbands, and rig up a filter on the bottom of the racking cane/auto siphon.

But I will tell you from experience that it is much easier to bottle from a bucket, then to siphon out of a carboy into bottles...If you're not that experienced, or are clutzy then go with a bucket...or if you have one around, even a sanitized 5 gallon cooler with spigot can work in a pinch.

No, you don't have to.
I keg so i don't use bottling bucket.

Tonight I just transfered a pomegranite apfelwein into a keg w/o sediment. The 'wein was in primary for 6 weeks which is 2 weeks longer than what I do normally (lazy). The longer you wait the more the yeast sediment gets compacted, so I find, therefore the less chance of stirring up said sediment.
FWIW

Back