Is it absolutely necessary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

FishinDave07

Reaction score
to have a bottling bucket when bottling apfelwein? Can i just siphon from the primary? Will it have too much sediment?

DIY Brewing Company

Reaction score
If you are super careful you can but I would still use the bottling bucket. It will be almost impossible to not stir up something out of the primary.

Greggy

Reaction score
You'll want a bottling bucket. If you plan on carbing, you'll need to mix in the sugar with the apfelwein in the bucket.

Greg

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
ALthough it's a good idea to use a bottling bucket...if you aren't planning to carb it, and you are good with a siphon (with or without a bottle wand) you could skip the bucket...If you're worried about sediment (which would fall to the bottom after awhile) you could take a piece of hopsack material, and sanitize it along with a couple of rubberbands, and rig up a filter on the bottom of the racking cane/auto siphon.

But I will tell you from experience that it is much easier to bottle from a bucket, then to siphon out of a carboy into bottles...If you're not that experienced, or are clutzy then go with a bucket...or if you have one around, even a sanitized 5 gallon cooler with spigot can work in a pinch.

uuurang

Reaction score
No, you don't have to.
I keg so i don't use bottling bucket.

Tonight I just transfered a pomegranite apfelwein into a keg w/o sediment. The 'wein was in primary for 6 weeks which is 2 weeks longer than what I do normally (lazy). The longer you wait the more the yeast sediment gets compacted, so I find, therefore the less chance of stirring up said sediment.
FWIW

Latest posts