is iodophor a no rinse sanitizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hello. I got a bottle of iodophor, and thought I remembered seeing somewhere that if diluted correctly and put in a spray bottle, you can spray sanitize your equipment and there is no need to rinse. Any input on this? Thanks.

No, as far as I know Iodophor should be rinsed. Iodophor is toxic to yeast so it is probably not a good idea to leave any to come in contact with the yeast!

My bottle says 1T to 5 gallons and it is a no rinse. But note, it does have a bit longer contact time compared to StarSan. Not much though...I think like 2-5 mins...somewhere in there.

Ok, got a yes and a no, lol. If yes do I follow the dilution rate for the homebrewer on the bottle, or go less? I don't want to kill the yeast if it is toxic. If no, I will continue to use my one step, or go star san.

Yooper said:
Iodophor is no-rinse at the proper dilution.

+1 Yooper. No-rinse as long as you mix the right ratio. I started with Iodophor, but now use Starsan. In my opinion Starsan is the way to go, Iodophor has a limited shelf life.

Ok, the dilution, should I use the 1 tsp per 1 1/2 gallon like the bottle says for home brewing, or should I go less? I'm going to wash everything, then spray it down and let it air dry.

I've used iodophor for every batch I've ever made, and never rinsed. It's fine. Use the homebrewer ratio given on the bottle. Heck, I'll just eyeball it a lot of time, with no ill effects.

Brew day I just use a spray bottle. Bottling day, I mix it up in the bottling bucket, then drain some into a spray bottle. Voila! Fresh iodophor mix! The rest goes into my vinator for rinsing the bottles.

Oh, and don't let it dry. It's a wet-contact sanitizer. Keeps working as long as the surface is wet.

RDWHAHB!

That sounds about right with the 1T per 5 gallons. I'd use that and not worry about diluting further.

Dilute it to the instructions and it is fine as no rinse. I agree with others though that Starsan is much better and cheaper if used properly. If mixed with Distilled water it will last a long time and you just have to get stuff wet for 30 seconds so a gallon on brew day is all you need.

Great! I plan on using it on my buckets, and equipment. I think that nudging them will be much easier. I will still use 1 step for my bottles till its gone.

Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer. As the bottle says, put 1 teaspoon of iodophor in 1.5 gallons of water for homebrewing purposes. I have done this for years and never had any issues whatsoever. And, to be clear, I use it to sanitize equipment at every stage of brewing, including when sanitizing containers for yeast starters. At the proper dilution, iodophor will kill unwanted bacteria, not harm your yeast, and not affect the flavor of your beer - you don't need to make it any more diluted than the recommended 12.5 ppm you get when you mix 1 teaspoon with 1.5 gallons.

Thanks for all the quick replies! Brew day is tomorrow, so ill be giving it a go. Wish me luck! I'm doing a cocoa porter, and I want it perfect.

i use it as directed on the bottle. I start with my 10 gallon cooler filled to the top, then I drain from that into my 8 gallon pot. from there I run it into my fermenter and bottling bucket and then I usually just set them both aside. When it's time to put it into the fermenter I dump that out and during the whole process I leave any and all gadgets I may need sitting in the bottling bucket and grab them out of there as needed (hydrometer, thief, thermometer, tubing, etc)

The "Iodine" concentration always determines that it should be rinsed or not .

If you have 12.5-25 p.p.m of Iodine , then there is no need to rinse .

There is also a Podcast about sanitizing with Iodophor . An Expert gives good details about using this sanitizer in brewing :

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2007

Listen to the March 22nd Program .

Hector

Its no rinse, but I DO rinse certain things, pretty much if Im using it to rehydrate yeast or top off, Ill rinse just because it makes me feel better. I went through my iodophor so damn fast I switched to starsan, it goes a long long way for the same price.

Ok, got a yes and a no, lol. If yes do I follow the dilution rate for the homebrewer on the bottle, or go less? I don't want to kill the yeast if it is toxic. If no, I will continue to use my one step, or go star san.

Doh, sorry man, I did not mean to give you bad info. I kind of got lost in the whole spraying the iodophor and getting up at 3am thing (lack of sleep can make your mind drift a bit)!

I am glad that there are so many "awake" brewers here to keep us all on track!

you need to be very careful though...i used it to sanitize my bottles on my last batch...and after drinking 8 or 10 of them i had one hell of a buzz going....

Back