Quantcast

Is Iodaphor(sp?) the same thing as "one step"?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
5
Location
Pendleton, SC USA
Hi all,
I was just wondering. When getting all the gear to brew from a HBS a while back I asked them to put in some sanitizing cleaner. I told them to just put whatever they thought I should have in the pack. They sent a packet of a white powder (they packaged it themselves) and it has a homemade label that says "One Step" on it. Is this the same thing as Iodaphor?
 

El Pistolero

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
3,584
Reaction score
16
Location
Houston
ian said:
Hi all,
I was just wondering. When getting all the gear to brew from a HBS a while back I asked them to put in some sanitizing cleaner. I told them to just put whatever they thought I should have in the pack. They sent a packet of a white powder (they packaged it themselves) and it has a homemade label that says "One Step" on it. Is this the same thing as Iodaphor?
The iodophor I got from my HBS is a liquid...I think they gave you One Step.
 
OP
ian

ian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
5
Location
Pendleton, SC USA
So, apart from one being a liquid and the other a powder what is the main difference between them (besides one is iodine)? Is one better than the other or does it matter?
 

El Pistolero

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2005
Messages
3,584
Reaction score
16
Location
Houston
ian said:
So, apart from one being a liquid and the other a powder what is the main difference between them (besides one is iodine)? Is one better than the other or does it matter?
I think One Step is both a cleaner and a sanitizer. Iodophor is just a sanitizer.
 
OP
ian

ian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
5
Location
Pendleton, SC USA
Oh, OK Thanks!

and to continue the quesitons. . .

I've read that some of you are using OxyClean for cleaning. Is that common and if so, is it working well?
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
ian said:
So, apart from one being a liquid and the other a powder what is the main difference between them (besides one is iodine)? Is one better than the other or does it matter?
Do believe it would be price where Iodophor is much cheaper. I don't know that for a fact as I've not purchased one step , but I can get 1 liter (34oz) of Iodphor for $15. You use 2 capfuls to 5g to create your sanitizer. I don't recall how much a capful is in oz's but I've done 13 batches sanitizing for primary, secondary and bottles with this one bottle and have about 1/2 liter left...

EDIT - 1 cap = 1/4oz. Need 1/2oz per 5g to create your sanitizer solution.
 
OP
ian

ian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
480
Reaction score
5
Location
Pendleton, SC USA
Ok, I'll have to remeber that next time I buy.

Well then, how much of the one step goes in a gallon of water?

Thanks, you guys are really helping me out.

I'm brewing my first batch tomorrow and I'm very excited but nervous. I know, I shouldn't be nervous, its just beer. But, I am. Its good nervous. Mostly excited though. Its Brew Eve!!
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
6,024
Reaction score
152
Location
Twin Cities, MN
ian said:
Ok, I'll have to remeber that next time I buy.

Well then, how much of the one step goes in a gallon of water?

Thanks, you guys are really helping me out.

I'm brewing my first batch tomorrow and I'm very excited but nervous. I know, I shouldn't be nervous, its just beer. But, I am. Its good nervous. Mostly excited though. Its Brew Eve!!
I just read 1 tablespoon one step per 1g. Also saw 13oz One Step for $4 at my HBS web site. It's Friday, someone else do the conversions/math on what's more cost effective :D

http://www.undergrounddigital.com/cleanserinfo.htm

Good luck on your brew day. Take your time and you'll enjoy the heck out of it.
 

Kephren

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
215
Reaction score
2
Location
Reno, NV
ian said:
I've read that some of you are using OxyClean for cleaning. Is that common and if so, is it working well?
I use Oxyclean to CLEAN my glass carboys. Just let it soak overnight and give it a good rinse the next day. It does a great job at dissolving all the gunk on the sides. Haven't used a carboy brush in quite a while. I SANITIZE with iodaphor.
 

rsitzejr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2005
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
Location
Sanford, NC
I've used beer bright with great results, to clean and sanitize. In fact my HBS said to use it in my keg lines.
 

uglygoat

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
2,765
Reaction score
10
Location
Clebland, OH
iodophor is like no rinse too... :) dip/soak, empty and shake baby shake and your bottles are good... assuming you've gotten the crud outta there before the sanatizing dip...
 

SwAMi75

Banned
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
2,458
Reaction score
10
Location
Midwest City, OK
Kephren said:
I use Oxyclean to CLEAN my glass carboys. Just let it soak overnight and give it a good rinse the next day. It does a great job at dissolving all the gunk on the sides. Haven't used a carboy brush in quite a while. I SANITIZE with iodaphor.
That's the way I use it, too. Used it for the first time to clean a couple of old kegs. It works great, but I don't believe it's a good sanitizer. Plus, it's scented, so you'll want to wrinse it very thoroughly.

For sanitization, I use bleach, Iodophor, or One step, depending on which is closest at the time. You gotta wrinse the bleach really well, too.
 
Top