Is Guinness the most overrated beer...ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read an article that said the number one beer sold in supermarkets in Ireland is Budweiser. Number two is Heineken, Guinness is #3. In the pubs, it's Guiness and Heineken....I personally think Heineken is crap. I've lost all faith in my ancesters.

I've always enjoyed a well poured Guinness from well maintained pipes/taps, served at the right temperature. There's something about the creamy velvet mouthfeel and slightly sour flavour that is incredibly refreshing and contradicts the "Blackness":ban:

I've brewed quite a few stouts so far. Dry and sweet. Some were great, some were just alright, all were quite a bit higher in ABV% than a draught Guinness but I'd love to be able to accurately replicate a full on, authentic, Guinness as one of my homebrewing goals.

Growing up in Scotland we always thought that if it tasted that good in the pubs we were going to, it must be out of this world if drunk in the motherland:mug:

Overrated? Not a chance. But here in Japan it's definitely way over-bloody- priced.

I just read an article that said the number one beer sold in supermarkets in Ireland is Budweiser. Number two is Heineken, Guinness is #3. In the pubs, it's Guiness and Heineken....I personally think Heineken is crap. I've lost all faith in my ancesters.

I was in Ireland for 10 days in '02. Not that that makes me an expert on Ireland but it does qualify me to share an anectdote.

Eleventy skillion Guinnessi in to the even a rather Irish appearing Irish gentleman came in to the pub, saddled up next to me, and ordered a pint of bud. I of course frowned. "Here I have flown so far to have real Guinness, and you are drinking Bud" I joked, attempting to strike up a conversation, "um... well I like Guinness as well..." *confused face*

"Oh, its just that I mean Bud is an American beer...."

"Budweiser is American beer? I thought it was German..."

If i go to the local pubs here in Ireland all i drink is Guinness, i detest lager eg carsberg, heineken and budweiser, they are the common ones over here.. Not every pub has a selection of craft beer, so i generally stick to the Guinness.. Plus if your moving pubs i dont want to be drinking a different beer in each one..

The Guinness does however make the next morning.... interesting!!!

Overrated no. Misunderstood yes. Those non-beer enthusiests think it's heavy or bitter or high in ABV, when in fact it's none of those things. The color throws people off.

I dig me some guinness.

I love Guinness' extra stout. I love the toasty malty character to it, its a nice break from all the tongue numbing hop bombs that are literally everywhere.

I like Guinness. Not all the time but sometimes. It's especially good when consumed in Ireland or at least in England. In a small pub that is a hundred or more years old. Guinness is pretty good but the history behind it makes it better I think.

As my father always said, beer is best consumed in the country of it's origin.

I just had a pint on Friday; remembered why I never order it, because I don't care for it. Overrated? I have no idea--I'm not a big Stout fan so I can't say if it's a good one or not.

I've come to really appreciate differences in people's palates. I like what I like, and if it's different than what you like, that doesn't make me right and you wrong.

And yet....a friend of mine visited recently and he brought a KBS stout with him, and I enjoyed it very much. Does that make it better than Guinness?

Overrated no. Misunderstood yes. Those non-beer enthusiests think it's heavy or bitter or high in ABV, when in fact it's none of those things. The color throws people off.

I dig me some guinness.

This.

Absolutely not overrated. In fact, I think it's underrated. I bet it would be even more popular if casual beer drinkers got past their misconceptions and just tried it. Never brew it at home but it's almost always what I drink when I'm out.

I just had a pint on Friday; remembered why I never order it, because I don't care for it. Overrated? I have no idea--I'm not a big Stout fan so I can't say if it's a good one or not.

I'm not a big fan of it here in the US, but it Ireland it is Soooo much better. The nitrogen/mix seemed different.

Same thing with Heineken sucks here, but loved it in Amsterdam. Fresh and not skunky.

I can only speak for the version that is sold in Canada, but I started liking Guiness a few years ago, when my primary beer was Busch. Nowadays, to my palate, Guiness just does not compare favorably at all to most craft stout offerings, or indeed, my own home versions. My wife says the same—the only kind of beer she will drink is stout, but if the only option is Guiness, she’s just going to pass on the beer altogether.

I find Guiness to be really thin and dull, but that is probably just a matter of taste; I’m not a huge fan of dry stouts.

It’s weird, because I only drink the driest wines and ciders, I drink my coffee and tea black, I eat plain yogurt, I buy unsweetened apple sauce, I don’t ever put sugar on anything… but for some reason, a generous dose of malty sweetness is the ticket for me when it comes to stouts.

My brother and i discussed this on a recent night out over said brew. it was very bland to our palettes, but we have been drinking very flavorful beers for most of our adult lives. it is still light years better than the swill Budweiser tries to sell us.

My answer: "no." I think Guinness is a pretty damn tasty beer. Not the best stout I've ever had by any means, but it's still pretty damn good. Plus, it has a very unique flavor to it that I've never tasted in any other stout.

I'd actually say it's a pretty underrated beer, and this thread is proof of that.

Draught is crap but the likes of FES, Nigerian FES, the belgian SE etc are all excellent imo .

Back