Is fermentation done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajake83

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any help or information. Im right before bottling on a pumpkin stout. Nov 24 was brew date. I usually let it ferment for a week in primary and then let it finish out in secondary, my hydrometer hasn't moved in 2 days. The OG was 1.052 and my reading now is 1.021 . My question is should I let it sit for a few more days and check again or can I bottle? I used a recipe kit due to the fact im brand spanking new to this and am trying to build confidence. No real pumpkin, some spices and LME. Im able to give additional information.

As a kit and being all extract most likely it is done. There is a pretty common occurrence for this to happen as the amount of less fermentable malt in extract is hard to determine depending on the manufacturer.

You can try to gently rouse the yeast by agitating the vessel and raising the temperature a bit to see if it will knock some points but most likely it's done.

2 days ago I moved my carboy to to the kitchen counter, in the process of moving it did agitate the trub and the airlock went nuts for about 3 hrs. I believe this would be equivalent.
One more question if I may. Do you think at 70 deg a 12oz bottle will carb up in 2 weeks. Im not sure if a stout will take longer or not. Thanks again for any answers.

2 days ago I moved my carboy to to the kitchen counter, in the process of moving it did agitate the trub and the airlock went nuts for about 3 hrs. I believe this would be equivalent.
One more question if I may. Do you think at 70 deg a 12oz bottle will carb up in 2 weeks. Im not sure if a stout will take longer or not. Thanks again for any answers.

The only reason why the airlock went crazy is because you moved the vessel and agitated the suspended CO2 our of suspension, unless of course you took another gravity reading and saw that it dropped but in 3 hours I doubt it!

As for conditioning and carbonation, it's possible but as a stout I doubt it, more like 3-4 weeks for everything to come together nicely.

Most average gravity ales will be better longer than 2 weeks in the bottle. I've had dark beers like stouts take longer. 1.021 down from 1.052 isn't done normally. It should be more like 1.010-1.012. They won't stall at 1.020 mearly because they're extracts. It also depends on how long you boiled how much of it.

Back