Is fermentation done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdesrosiers3

Reaction score
Hey there!

This is my third batch of extract. I'm getting these kits from www.windriverbrew.com.

This is an English Tavern Bitter.

My OG was 1.040 - This was taken on 4/11/2012

Yesterday (4/15/2012) the gravity was 1.010.

I'm fairly certain it isn't going to come much lower. I'm wondering if I should let this sit on the cake for a while longer or if I should rack it to secondary.

My last batch was a dunkelweizen, I racked that to secondary and let it sit for about 10 days. The batch turned out really good. :rockin:

Thoughts?

Even after you have reached FG and fermentation is technically complete, the yeast will actually start to eat their own by products and impurities in the beer for about another 2-4 days, so it is beneficial to let it sit a bit longer.

Even after this step, beer effectively begins to bulk condition, so leaving it longer only helps. Most of the experienced brewers on this forum will leave an average gravity beer in primary for 2-3+ weeks.

Be patient, and you'll be rewarded with good beer. Be impatient, and you'll be starting another newbie "what happened to my beer" thread.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Good to know. I'm going to go ahead and let it sit in there for a couple more weeks then. :eek:

waiting an extra week won't hurt anything, but bottling a day or 2 early can cause problem. When in doubt....wait.

the yeast will actually start to eat their own byproducts and impurities in the beer for about another 2-4 days.

I agree, but aren't the off-flavor precursors/byproducts reabsorbed by the yeast for about 1-2 weeks longer than actual completed fermentation? I have never heard of a shorter 2-4 days as a go-to time frame for this.

Back