is expired yeast bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
I got some expired yeast from an online order? Is it worth using, should I contact the seller

You should contact the seller, because selling expired yeast is crap. But, it would probably still work. If it's liquid, make a starter.

if you aren't in a hurry, I would suggest contacting the seller to get them to send you a new vial/pack of yeast. It is likely ok to use if it isn't too far past the expiration date, but the seller should not be sending out expired yeast.

I buy expired yeast all the time as I can get it half price. It doesn't "spoil" rather over time the viability of that pack of yeast goes down, cells die.

So if you're using expired yeast just make a healthy starter and you're fine.

However if I bought a pack of yeast that was supposed to be fresh, and it was expired, I would contact the seller.

i get expired yeast all the time. i've pitched 3-4 year old DRY yeast many times, and it's been perfectly fine.

+1 with malfet. Was it a kit(not that it matters)? I have seen alot of kits lately with expired yeast. I just got a Rauch kit from my lhbs and i got it the day it came off the truck, and it had expired yeast in it.

Back